Author Topic: Slade crashing upon loading any file  (Read 4608 times)

CarThief

Slade crashing upon loading any file
« on: January 17, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »
So this problem only just occured randomly when i tried to edit a file at home. I was editing it at a work computer first, put it on a USB and just put it in the usual spot. But possibily because of the file or maybe the way it was copied over, slade crashed upon loading that file, and now nothing else wants to load either.

Every time i try to load any file, it loads succesfully, sometimes showing the files on the left, or just having a maxed loading bar and not doing anything else, and it just crashes and triggers the standard windows failure message programs do when they crash. I've went and looked at a few other topics on the matter and removing everything slade-related in appdata\roaming did not help, i've updated to the latest beta, didnt work either, and i've looked into this sound issue and found no path to any thing for it, but that didnt do much either.

I would post the log but there's nothing going on, just the standard stuff, then it states that its opening that file when i ask for it and thats about it, it crashes and adds nothing extra to the log.
I'm running this on a 64-bit windows 8. Installations and use of both versions went fine, but ever since this it crashes on loading a file.
At this rate i dont think i can blame the file though, slade just randomly decided to give up the ghost. I've also tried multiple computer restarts, that, at best, got me to see the files, but would still crash before being able to do anything.

Gez

Re: Slade crashing upon loading any file
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
I would post the log but there's nothing going on, just the standard stuff, then it states that its opening that file when i ask for it and thats about it, it crashes and adds nothing extra to the log.
Please do post the log anyway. That would already tell us several very important informations, notably:
1. What version of SLADE you were using
2. What it was compiled with
3. What type of file you were attempting to open (wad, zip, or something else)

CarThief

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:43:53 pm »
Well things changed a bit. In sheer desperate need of an editing tool i went and downloaded the latest SlumpED, which worked just fine. Though it did end up overwriting a few files Slade aparrantly also uses, and went on with my editing. Now i've tried again to use the latest slade by overwriting all the files with those of the latest Slade beta at this time and run the .exe, but it crashed without even opening the program and gave me an error log.

I did however try running Slade from a clean file-free location (except what slade brings) and it ran perfectly, i was able to open up the file that may have been guilty of starting this mess, compiled the ACS, saved it and it worked just fine in-game. I suppose i'll put up the logs of both cases.
So i can get slade working again in a clean folder, but running it alongside my WADs, PK3's, Zandronum and server hoster/browsers and such would not work and crash it.

So i guess i should have tried a clean install next time around, huh. I suppose with that i'm ready to go again and the problem's solved, so i guess lock or move it or whatever happens to fixed issues, unless you want more information, but i doubt i can provide much more then the logs.

Dont mind the lenght, i dont know if this forum has any spoiler or otherwise tags to hide text in a box and trying [spoiler] didnt work. And trying to put them as attachments failed, they couldnt be read or something, despite being plain .txt files.
Failure log from Slade in Doom folder:
Version: 3.1.0 beta 3
No current action

Stack Trace:
0: (c:\dev\slade3\src\archiveentry.cpp:469) ArchiveEntry::exportFile
1: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mainwindow.cpp:184) MainWindow::setupLayout
2: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mainwindow.cpp:103) MainWindow::MainWindow
3: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mainapp.cpp:741) MainApp::OnInit
4: (c:\dev\libs\wxwidgets-3.0.0\src\common\init.cpp:479) wxEntryReal
5: (c:\dev\libs\wxwidgets-3.0.0\src\msw\main.cpp:188) wxEntry
6: (c:\dev\libs\wxwidgets-3.0.0\src\msw\main.cpp:415) wxEntry
7: (c:\dev\slade3\src\mainapp.cpp:312) WinMain
8: (f:\dd\vctools\crt_bld\self_x86\crt\src\crtexe.c:528) __tmainCRTStartup
9: [unknown location] BaseThreadInitThunk
10: [unknown location] RtlInitializeExceptionChain
11: [unknown location] RtlInitializeExceptionChain

------

Success log from fresh install(7zip file unpacking):
13:47:00: SLADE - It's a Doom Editor
13:47:00: Version 3.1.0 beta 3
13:47:00: Written by Simon Judd, 2008-2014
13:47:00: Compiled with wxWidgets 3.0.0 and SFML 2.1
13:47:00: --------------------------------
13:47:00: Loading configuration
13:47:00: Loading resources
13:47:00: Loading icons
13:47:00: Loading entry types
13:47:00: Loading text languages
13:47:00: Loading text style sets
13:47:00: Loading colour configuration
13:47:00: Loading base resource
13:47:00: Base resource loaded
13:47:00: SLADE Initialisation OK
13:47:11: Opening archive D:\DOOM_Ultimate\playerm5.pk3
13:47:12: Opening took 585 ms
13:47:49: Error: can't open file 'C:\Users\Martijn\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout' (error 2: het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.)
13:47:49: Tokenizer::openFile: Unable to open file C:\Users\Martijn\AppData\Roaming\SLADE3\mapwindow.layout
13:47:50: Warning: No fluidsynth soundfont set, MIDI playback will not work
13:48:08: Opening archive D:\DOOM_Ultimate\playerm5.pk3
13:48:08: Opening took 268 ms
13:48:29: Opening archive D:\DOOM_Ultimate\playerm6.pk3
13:48:29: Opening took 271 ms
ACC.exe Output:
Host byte order: LITTLE endian

"D:\slade_310_b3\temp\pglobal.acs":
  425 lines (1112 included)
  0 functions
  35 scripts
   26 closed
    6 open
    1 respawn
    1 death
    1 enter
  0 global variables
  0 world variables
  3 map variables
  0 global arrays
  0 world arrays
  object "D:\slade_310_b3\temp\pglobal.o": 8772 bytes
13:48:36: Error: File 'D:\slade_310_b3\temp\pglobal.acs' couldn't be removed (error 2: het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.)
13:48:46: Creating backup D:\DOOM_Ultimate\playerm6.pk3.bak
Note: "het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden" translates to that the system couldnt find the file in question.
Despite this all seemed to work just fine, though, for now.

Gez

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
That failed log is interesting.

If you open your slade3.cfg file (it'll be in %APPDATA%\SLADE3 -- you can copy that as-is in the file explorer's location bar, it'll replace %APPDATA% by the proper path itself) in a text editor, can you search for lines with temp_location? It should look kinda like this:

Code: [Select]
/*****************************************************
 * SLADE Configuration File
 * Don't edit this unless you know what you're doing
 *****************************************************/

cvars
{
gfx_extraconv              0
run_last_exe               ""
run_last_config            0
run_last_extra             ""
hud_statusbar              1
hud_center                 1
hud_wide                   0
hud_bob                    0
dir_last                   ""
log_verbosity              1
temp_location              1
temp_location_custom       ""
setup_wizard_run           1
(it continues on for quite a while. Only the temp_location and temp_location_custom are of interest for now.)

The crash happens when it tries to export a file to the temporary folder; so there is a problem with the temporary location.

CarThief

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:51 pm »
Well its giving me this:
temp_location              1
temp_location_custom       ""

If that's what you're looking for. I went and gave it a path and started up the broken slade again but it still crashed. The changelog didnt change any bit though, same as the first crash log. Figured i'd change things back as they where after trying that quickly.
Edit: Curiously, the .cfg file gets scrambled visually (but still usable) in win 8's notepad, but running it through WordPad got it to look normal. But i suppose thats windows being silly. :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:18:57 pm by CarThief »

Gez

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:19 am »
If you change the value of temp_location from 1 to 0, does it still crash?

CarThief

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:09:36 am »
Still crashes with the same error log as the first time. I'm thinking it just doesnt like the files its with, somehow, given how it works when installed in a empty folder, despite probably using the same configuration and such from appdata.

sirjuddington

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 02:01:18 am »
Can you post a screenshot of the contents of the folder it's in that causes it to crash? Or at least give a list of files/subdirectories.

CarThief

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
Well i guess here's 3 images that list about all thats currently in it. I'd imagine most files are quite harmless to it but maybe something happened to one of the files Slade actually makes use of.

P1: https://imageshack.com/i/mk01g8p
P2: https://imageshack.com/i/0io1xbp
P3: https://imageshack.com/i/jnm3xsp

Ah well maybe it provides some information on why Slade isnt working, in that folder atleast. Hm now i think of it, maybe a .dll file is upsetting it? Just a random guess.

Gez

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 04:31:37 pm »
Ah well maybe it provides some information on why Slade isnt working, in that folder atleast. Hm now i think of it, maybe a .dll file is upsetting it? Just a random guess.
Certainly a possibility. Notably for FreeImage: there have been changes in the FreeImage API between the time SLumpEd was developed and SLADE 3 began development. As a result, the FreeImage.dll included in SLumpEd's distribution is incompatible with SLADE 3, and vice-versa.

Another possibility is the res folder. To simplify development, SLADE will prioritize the res folder over the slade.pk3 file, so if a res folder is present, it will simply ignore slade.pk3. SLumpEd comes with its own res folder, which of course does not contain the resources needed by SLADE 3.

CarThief

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:09 pm »
Well seems the res folder was the crulpit, somehow. It had some SlumpED resources in it and other stuff, so i guess it didnt take very kindly to the fact SlumpED exists or used to exist with similar folders and files. Removing the res folder entirely allowed it to start back up again succesfully, i did overwrite and replace all files with what the latest Slade came with, probably including FreeImage.dll, so i guess that's fine as long as you replace any old ones.

Havent tried anything fancy yet with the newly-fixed Slade, though, but they're both connected to the same configuration and stuff anyway, so it should be completely fine once again. So i guess case closed? Unless there's anything left to give a quick try, i suppose i got the time.
Either way i guess thats a useful thing to know in case someone else has similar problems. :P

Gez

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »
The presence of SLumpEd stuff in res wasn't really a problem, however the absence of SLADE stuff in it certainly was. The SLADE dev builds usually come with a res folder, too.

In any case, the API incompatibilities between FreeImage versions make it a bad idea to have SLADE and SLumpEd in the same directory. And yes, case closed now. Thanks for the feedback. :)