Author Topic: ZDaemon illegally distributes Doom. ID Software responds.  (Read 25419 times)

Ralphis

ZDaemon illegally distributes Doom. ID Software responds.
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:52:18 am »
The following are emails exchanged between I and T. Hollenshead of ID Software. They have not been altered in any form:

Mr. Vickers,

If what you're saying is true, then ZDaemon would be inducing users to illegally download copyrighted property of id Software, in violation of the end user license agreement for any and all of the games you mentioned and also in violation of the license under which the DOOM source code was released (which I presume they use).  As you have pointed out, "classic" DOOM titles, as well as Hexen and Heretic, are still sold commercially today on the id Software website, as well as other places.  However, "commercial viability" is not a prerequisite for copyright infringement.

Regards,

Todd Hollenshead

At 09:11 PM 4/11/2006, you wrote:

>    Dear Mr. Hollenshead,
>
>          Forgive me for not knowing exactly who to send this to email to but I'm sure you can answer and address the issue just fine. Allow me to jump right to the point. A multiplayer source port of the classic Doom engines, ZDaemon (http://zdaemon.org) uses a utility called GETWAD built into its launcher that finds wads for its users. While this is a great utility it illegally obtains any IWADs needed to play as well (Dooms, Hexen, Heretic). This issue has been brought to the dev team multiple times over an extended period of time and they have taken no action.
>
>          As the classic Doom titles still appear to be commercially viable (Doom Collectors Ed.) I was curious as to your stance on this utility. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.
>
> -Ralph Vickers

leileilol

• Is he a boy? Is he a girl? We just don't know!
  • NIHAO
Re: ZDaemon illegally distributes Doom. ID Software responds.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 01:57:52 am »
not surprised
unidoom more like unifur
"Despite being a certified genius (166 IQ), " - fucking furry whos gullible enuf to fall for spambots

Nautilus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:01:04 am »
With some understanding and knowledge, any sane mind would agree that the ZDaemon administration is most definitely one that is venal, unacceptable, and that has reached a new, low extreme. It's anyway probably allowing for IWADS to be downloaded just to leverage its player base in vain.
DO NOT MARK IN THIS SPACE

leileilol

• NIHAO
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 02:06:33 am »
Actually this getwad thing has been going on for years, it's just that they think "id software doesn't care as it's an old game anyway and they probably dont mind us distributing it err i meen having a utility to automatically google up the files needed blah blah lol"
unidoom more like unifur
"Despite being a certified genius (166 IQ), " - fucking furry whos gullible enuf to fall for spambots

AlexMax

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:20:03 am »
I knew about this when I played ZDaemon, and just played good samaratin by not playing on the servers until I got DCE.  But I was one of the few people on ZDaemon who was awesome, as I'm sure there are people who were (and still are) less awesome than me illegally obtaining wads for games they never owned.  It's probably the only reason they're doing Heretic CTF, since with pirated copies of Heretic floating around (since nobody has the origional version), they can actually make it viable.

Also, another fun fact, ZDaemon also allows users to load custom WAD's with Doom Shareware.  This is also against the wishes of iD.

All in the name of a bigger userbase, eh ZDaemon?  Keep the pesants happy, even if it's not the right thing to do or ethically bankrupt.  Where have we come into this style decision making before?

(Oh, and I bet you never credited Luigi for finding that security vulnerability that you fixed in 1.08.02 for, am I right?)

Ant P

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:33:04 am »
Here's my retarded idea which you should just ignore because it's 3am here and I'm clinically brain-dead at the best of times -

Getwad downloads .wad/.zips and uses Google as a last resort. Google can be tricked, and you can get quite a few gigabytes 256TB (lolol) of zeroes into a zip, if you catch my drift. If/when this happens there are several outcomes most of which I would find hilarious.

OK, I'm staying out of this (for real this time).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 06:53:59 pm by Ant P »

leileilol

• NIHAO
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:38:26 am »
Zdaemon itself says:

"You don't have DOOM2.WAD. Do you want me to get it?"

That's a show stopper right there.

Raider disagreed with my "decoy doom2.wad" idea years ago sitting on that raider wad folder for some reason, hrm
unidoom more like unifur

AlexMax

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:37:44 am »
Zdaemon itself says:

"You don't have DOOM2.WAD. Do you want me to get it?"

That's a show stopper right there.

Raider disagreed with my "decoy doom2.wad" idea years ago sitting on that raider wad folder for some reason, hrm

I would not download ANYTHING hosted by ZDaemon.  Who knows, the decoy might format your hard drive, because, hey, you're a dirty pirate who wants to download games for free, so YOU DESERVE IT!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:40:40 am by AlexMax »

Chaindude

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 08:32:04 pm »

Hilarious--no shame at all..."Would you like US (ZDaemon) to get your illegal IWAD?"

Yes, I lost my Heretic *5-episode edition CD, but I cancelled this bullshit transfer anyway. Heh, the extent to which people will plunge in order to get more people to use their product. It's no surprise then, that many people are just keyboard warriors who know nothing of the game(s), particularly the playing aspect.

EDIT: Working links are here if you want full-size
http://stu.aii.edu/~la338/files/Getwad1.JPG
http://stu.aii.edu/~la338/files/Getwad2.JPG
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 05:37:57 am by Chaindude »

Manc

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 09:38:56 pm »
Is there any additional follow up past that one email?  Did you mention HOW they're obtained? 

Those images are kind of funny considering the context.
Network Administrator, and I smash robuts!

leileilol

• NIHAO
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 12:20:03 am »
Yes, I lost my Heretic 4-episode edition CD

ok, seeing that doesn't exist, try looking for your 5-episode edition CD instead.
unidoom more like unifur

deathz0r

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 03:14:02 am »
I shall retract this post and just say "that's life".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 03:17:01 am by deathz0r »

Chaindude

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 05:37:16 am »
ok, seeing that doesn't exist, try looking for your 5-episode edition CD instead.

Haha, you're right...See--it's been THAT long since I had it in my hands.

Nestea

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 06:28:29 am »
Doesn't IDE and other programs using GetWAD do the same thing?

Russell