Author Topic: Truecolor View for Colour Remap / Texture Editor  (Read 2906 times)

NeuralStunner

Truecolor View for Colour Remap / Texture Editor
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
When using color ranges outside the palette, it would be nice to see a true rendering of that. (Mind you, current behavior of putting back into palette can be useful too, if you want to see how it'd look in software.)

A check box in the remap/editor windows would be handiest, as you could switch between them at will. (I also think it would be fine to default to truecolor.)

NeuralStunner

Re: Truecolor View for Colour Remap / Texture Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:14 pm »
I just noticed that there's already a checkbox for this in the Texture Editor, but it doesn't actually do anything. :P

(Neither does "Show Outside", which I'm guessing is meant to toggle the border.)

sirjuddington

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:25 am »
I'm not sure how easy this would be to add really, and I'm not 100% sure what you mean either, since translations are a paletted image-only feature.

Also the 'show outside' checkbox toggles whether patches outside the texture area are shown or not, and the truecolour preview checkbox makes transparency, blends and tints be processed in truecolour.

NeuralStunner

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:01 pm »
You can only translate from palette, yes, but you can translate into non-palette colors. Wiki link.

sirjuddington

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:21:39 am »
Yes but afaik these non-palette translations are still converted to palette colours afterwards (not sure about gzdoom). Even if they aren't, the way I have it written at the moment would make this difficult to do.

NeuralStunner

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:11 pm »
Yes, GZDoom displays them in full color. (Which is why I'm using this method extensively for one of my mods.)

Gez

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »
So, I've put that in. It is, however, only as a preview. Useful if you use it as a translation string editor to put in ACS/DECORATE or something; but when applying translations the image will still remain paletted because otherwise it could cause problems (can't save a truecolor Doom-format GFX for example)...