Author Topic: Workflow question: saving maps in directories  (Read 793 times)

JP

Workflow question: saving maps in directories
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »
I've been using SLADE's map editor for a good while now, I've run into a source of friction and I'm curious as to if it's intended.

For my latest ZDoom-based project I've been using a directory with loose files, as GZDoom and SLADE can both handle that just fine, with my maps in the maps/ subdirectory. It's very easy to work with, I can just copy files in with my file manager, and I have a little script that creates a PK3 for release distribution.

To edit, I select "Open Directory", select my project dir, and then browse into the maps subdir, open map01.wad in the map editor, and start working.

When I save changes in the map editor, however, the changes aren't committed to the actual file unless I alt-tab back over to SLADE's main (non map editor) window and save the map01.wad file.

I think I know why this works how it does... SLADE supported PK3-based mods before it supported working out of  directories, so it treats the latter exactly like the former. And this still seems best for working with assets like image and text lumps. However I think in the specific case of maps, it would be better to save the map WAD file directly to disk, instead of requiring the extra step. When I'm in the map editor, I save reasonably frequently, and it breaks flow to have to alt-tab back to SLADE's main window and save. Also if the map editor crashes, I lose everything I've done since I last alt-tab+saved.

It's also possible I'm just Doing It Wrong and there's a better way, or this is a conscious UI design decision. Thoughts?

If you agree the save-directly-to-disk behavior is better for directories, I can create an issue on the project's github. Thanks!

sirjuddington

Re: Workflow question: saving maps in directories
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:11:34 am »
Hmm yeah I guess it probably should do that at least. For now, there is also the option to save the parent archive when saving a map (in Preferences -> Editing, "Save the map's parent archive when saving a map")

JP

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:13:56 pm »
Hmm... I have that checked, but if I save a dir-based-archive map and then open the WAD file externally, I don't see the change. Is this the intended behavior or a bug?

JP

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »
Here are the steps I do specifically, curious as to if other see this:
1. Make sure "Save map's parent archive..." is checked in Preferences
2. Open a directory
3. Open a map within that directory's maps/ subdir
4. Make a change to the map and save it (Ctrl-S in the map editor)
5. Run that map in GZDoom
6. Observe: change doesn't show up
7. Back in Slade, save the map in the main folder view (ie not the map editor)
8. Run the map in GZDoom again
9. Observe: change now shows up

sirjuddington

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:11:51 am »
Ah ok, yeah if you open a map .wad manually from the maps/ subdirectory, saving the map within it will only save that particular wad in memory, but not to disk (as it won't save the parent archive). If you use the map editor launcher instead of double-clicking the map in the wad everything should save correctly.

JP

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »
Ahh ok thanks. Is this intended behavior or a bug? I can't think what would be desirable about the current behavior...