Author Topic: Word on the grapevine  (Read 70955 times)

deathz0r

Word on the grapevine
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:31:00 pm »
From an IRC channel: (with two of the particpants names censored)

<******> yea... kilgore set up a decoy and they were catching all the people trying to DL it
<****> i wonder how many fish they caught using that fake aimbot
<******> haha. it was a virus too... it messed up your zdaemon files
<AF-Domains> delted doom2.wad and zdaemon
<AF-Domains> deleted*

Is this the right way on how you run a client/server Doom port nowadays? Discuss.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:33:35 pm by deathz0r »

DD_133

Re: Word on the grapevine
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
Wow, that is not cool.

Seriously, they could have thought of better ways instead of using VIRUSES. That's hit an all-time low.

Manc

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:36:52 pm »
It's not really a virus, it's a trojan.

Regardless, this is simply over the line.  Until a cheater is actually caught cheating said person is out of zdaemon's juristiction.  While it was obviously bad that people are downloading it thinking it's a cheat, it's just as bad for the development team to offer such a thing and claim it's something else.  Maybe a "Hey don't even bother cheating!" or something like that kind of message could have popped up, but to delete doom2.wad is too much.

How long will zdaemon users sit by and let it this sort of ruling continue?
Network Administrator, and I smash robuts!

leileilol

• Is he a boy? Is he a girl? We just don't know!
  • NIHAO
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:37:16 pm »
zdrama
unidoom more like unifur
"Despite being a certified genius (166 IQ), " - fucking furry whos gullible enuf to fall for spambots

Manc

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:51 pm »
There's "drama" and there's "things you don't do to those who are still innocent".  It's not about some stupid bullshit you see day-to-day.  This is somewhat serious.
Network Administrator, and I smash robuts!

Bloodshedder

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:40:17 pm »
This is so incredibly lame that "virus" and "trojan" are ill-fitting words used to describe it.

leileilol

• Is he a boy? Is he a girl? We just don't know!
  • NIHAO
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:44:25 pm »
yeah even though unrelated I don't really agree with kilgore's doom2.wad getwad retrieval practices either, it just introduces more noob fodder who want "free game" than genuine doom2 players.

how's this man still around anyhow
unidoom more like unifur
"Despite being a certified genius (166 IQ), " - fucking furry whos gullible enuf to fall for spambots

Nautilus

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 11:50:53 pm »
That's very unjust, especially for the staff to fool people into downloading a "trojan" just to desperately and viciously eliminate cheating. Cheating is an exasperating and nerve-wrecking act, however offering such a harmful file under the pretext of a cheat (offering such a file period) for administrative purposes is far worse and is even a contradiction to the presumably standard goal of an administration -- to maintain order and control -- however, when the administration is conspicuously blemished and venal like that of ZDaemon, it observes more anxious, undisclosed measures to "fix" or "rid" of something without bothering to take time and ask for help. Quotes are used, as the context of the two terms is often contorted and uncertain.

Although the act can be argued as one aimed for maintaining order and control, it is still harmful to others and can trigger an uproar back from the harm done. The supposed "trojan" seems to only screw up ZDaemon files, yet it still does commit injury one way or another, and it is obviously the product of an attack driven by detrimental motives.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:56:55 pm by Nautilus »
DO NOT MARK IN THIS SPACE

SDoom4

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 12:03:45 am »
not only could they have deleted doom2.wad, but any file they wished. Does anyone see the danger the zdaemon administration can cause to the doom community?

DarkRevenge

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 12:28:17 am »
not only could they have deleted doom2.wad, but any file they wished. Does anyone see the danger the zdaemon administration can cause to the doom community?
He is right. The ZDaemon staff could easily ruin every ZDaemoner's computer with the simplicity of creating and update for ZDaemon with a trojan in it. These are not people you should trust.

CodeImp

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:05 am »
Maybe I should do the same with the next version of Doom Builder;
have it delete your wad files made with deapsea/wadauthor or something....

just kidding :P

Ant P

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 12:42:24 am »
I had a dozen things I was going to say here, but I'll just say one.

As of now I'm dropping any prejudices I had against Codeimp - he's a lot more... stable than the people running ZDaemon.

DevastatioN

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 01:25:01 am »
Actually, it wasn't made by Kilgore, you have your facts wrong.

Secondly, the thing was definately NOT harsh enough, if it could have deleted and fucked up the entire PC, operating system, or formatted the entire drive, it definately should have.

Russell

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 01:33:26 am »
Actually, it wasn't made by Kilgore, you have your facts wrong.

Secondly, the thing was definately NOT harsh enough, if it could have deleted and fucked up the entire PC, operating system, or formatted the entire drive, it definately should have.

Dev, stop being a cock, ZD has pretty much reached a new low.

You see, they REALLY do not want to lose their comfort zone.

Nautilus

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:34:06 am »
It was actually made by Doom2pro, yes. (the administration is still held accountable either way)

It actually can be pretty harsh, but I guess it can depend on circumstances.

<deathz0r>The "fake aimbot" makes duplicates of itself using filenames like explorer.exe and aim.exe and installs itself to run at startup by adding registry keys. The program also reports your ZDaemon username and password back to the ZDaemon staff, and deletes various ZDaemon files and IWADs, such as zdoom.ini and doom2.wad.

And why do you even think that just because someone cheats or presumably "tries to", deserves his computer to be completely fucked up? It's not like cheating hacks and crashes everyone's computers, thus granting them the incentive to vengefully strike back with a more bitter action that actually can cause mar.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 02:10:49 am by deathz0r »
DO NOT MARK IN THIS SPACE