Author Topic: ZDaemon illegally distributes Doom. ID Software responds.  (Read 41681 times)

Ant P

Re: ZDaemon illegally distributes Doom. ID Software responds.
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 12:06:09 pm »
Last time I checked, most of the servers use the same wad as GetWAD finds. Does that mean they're all using pirated copies too?

switcher

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 08:18:45 pm »
Well I for one downloaded a copy of DooM II from the ID site as a direct result of becoming involved with ZDaemon.
Not that it helped ID at all, but I also bought a used copy of the Ultimate DooM collection on EBay.
Then I turned around and bought DooM III when it came out, again completely due to my association with ZDaemon.
So there's a hundred clams from my pocket to IDs pocket as a direct result of my playing ZDaemon.
And when I originally installed ZDaemon, I used IDs free demo version to get up and playing.
Now I know that not everyone will be running out to buy a 12 year old 386 compatible computer game - but don't you think that ID knows that too?
ZDaemon provides a form of free goodwill advertising for ID Software on a daily basis.
Why would they then turn around and hold prospective members to the ZDaemon community hostage over old software they know damn well would be completely unsaleable otherwise?
Ralphis, do you really believe that ID had no idea about ZDaemon, the continuing DooM cult, or even how GetWad worked?
I would think they'd know every detail of their offshoots, if not even playing it themselves.
Aggressing against the very community that gave them life in the first place would be akin to shooting themselves in the foot.
It's not gonna happen
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:44:19 pm by switcher »

Infurnus

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:49 pm »
Well I for one downloaded a copy of DooM II from the ID site as a direct result of becoming involved with ZDaemon.

Wait, you can download Doom 2 from id software?

Now I know that not everyone will be running out to buy a 12 year old 386 compatible computer game

Okay, lets all break the law cause a game is old!
Seriously. The only games I own that are abandonware are REALLY REALLY OLD, or Strife, which is now free anyways.
EDIT: I'm sure it's perfectly legal to warez Pong...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:58:09 pm by Infurnus »
what

switcher

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 10:16:52 pm »
Wait, you can download Doom 2 from id software?

Okay, lets all break the law cause a game is old!
Seriously. The only games I own that are abandonware are REALLY REALLY OLD, or Strife, which is now free anyways.
EDIT: I'm sure it's perfectly legal to warez Pong...
Well, last I looked DooM III was getting dusty on the shelves and yea, you can still get DooM II at IDs site for 25 bucks.

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom2/index.php?game_section=buy

And like I said, I installed ZDaemon using IDs FREE DEMO.
I didn't steal anything nor am I encouraging anyone else to do so, especially since this is completely unnecessary to play ZDaemon.
Maybe GetWad should point to one of the many sites offering the old ID demo version of the IWAD.

At any rate, you can all bitch as you like, you are not the victims in any case and are not affected in any way by the current operation of GetWad.

Unless you can prod ID to take some action against it's biggest fans, for whatever the petty personal vendetta reasons yo umay have, this case is just going to fade away.
And the more time passes, the less likely the chance of anything ever happening.
Right now they're somewhere between slim and zero anyway.

Infurnus

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 10:23:51 pm »
And like I said, I installed ZDaemon using IDs FREE DEMO.

You're not supposed to be able to load pwads with the Doom Shareware.
what

Ant P

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 11:03:33 pm »
Technically zdoom.wad is a PWad.

switcher

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 12:56:34 am »
You're not supposed to be able to load pwads with the Doom Shareware.
Wow, a board where people actually respond.
Instant gratification. :)
Anyway, to the point at hand, I have no knowledge whether or not you are supposed to be or are allowed to be able to load pwads with the shareware.
And of course as the end user that is not my responsibility.
Wouldn't it be ID's fault if their demo version is pwad compatible?

Ant P

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 02:17:46 am »
If it's anything like the demo version of every other FPS in existence then the EULA prohibits running user mods with it.
That wouldn't be id's fault, it'll be the user's fault for doing it, as well as ZDaemon's fault for helping them by removing the hardcoded check in the ZDoom source that prevents running pwads with a demo iwad.

deathz0r

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 05:25:52 am »
Wouldn't it be ID's fault if their demo version is pwad compatible?
This was the case for versions up to v1.2. Every other version after that specifically disallowed it.

Russell

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2006, 01:24:37 pm »
oh, and for everyone who wants to download a legal copy of doom2.wad, go here and then here

leileilol

• Is he a boy? Is he a girl? We just don't know!
  • NIHAO
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2006, 03:54:39 pm »
also go here to play doom 2 for free
http://www.planetgargoyle.com/games

what's funny is that the wikipedia article of zdaemon is constantly backed up with lies from excelblue obviously trying to cover-up.
unidoom more like unifur
"Despite being a certified genius (166 IQ), " - fucking furry whos gullible enuf to fall for spambots

Ant P

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2006, 06:50:37 pm »
>_> Yeah well mine's better 'cause it's 10MB.

excelblue

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2006, 03:21:23 am »
what's funny is that the wikipedia article of zdaemon is constantly backed up with lies from excelblue obviously trying to cover-up.

Lies? Which ones? The only thing that came close was the doom2.wad one, and then, as I have found - that was actually based on old knowledge, as I didn't know at the time that google came up with a valid version. Though, these days, when I check, getwad ends up getting freedoom's doom2.wad through google.

As for the significantly less cheating - we have tons of proof on that. Banning - yep, we do try our best to work the bans in a fair way. Open source / legality - that's a subject in great dispute, and I try my best to leave both sides up. It's all about viewpoint.

The problem with freedoom is widespread acceptance. You won't be able to modify it into iD's Doom2 v1.9. So far, on ZDaemon, there are a few freedoom servers up. Those are clearly marked as such, even though the wad is renamed to freedoom.wad (yes, we can do that - it's BSD licensed). Until there is time to implement a version that supports either iwad cleanly, that'll be the temporary case. If we are guilty of anything, we are only as guilty as google when you do a search for "free doom2" or something like that and go on until you find some warez.

deathz0r

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2006, 03:46:37 am »
Banning - yep, we do try our best to work the bans in a fair way.
Try, but ultimately fail. How long did it take for Dalek to be banned again? And what was my reason for being banned?

I'm not going to bother asking for clemincy (sp?), because I no longer have interest in contributing towards ZDaemon in any way.
Open source / legality - that's a subject in great dispute, and I try my best to leave both sides up. It's all about viewpoint.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

Russell

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2006, 06:12:13 am »
damn, I thought this thread was dead

excelblue, we're not interested in zdaemon, stop sucking our cocks to make us want to come back.
Doomwire is a Lobby-driven Multiplayer client for Chocolate-Doom